How to cook a steak that tastes just as good without a grill
January 8, 2021
To be able to cook a steak to your desired temperature is no easy task. You can have your steak cook for a couple of minutes too long and turn your medium-rare into a well-done. Cooking a steak on a grill is the preferred method by many but maybe you don’t own a grill or you’re out of propane at home.
We’re going to go over a couple of methods on how to cook your steak to perfection without the use of a grill and from the help of our friend’s over at The Spruce Eats.
The skillet sear and oven finish
The first method we’re going to talk about is the most common way to cook a steak without a grill. To start we’re going to sear the steak at very high heat to get that beautiful brown and crispy crust on the outside.
All we’re going to do with the skillet for this method is just get a nice and even sear on both sides of the steak but let it finish to your desired temperature in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 325-350 degrees depending on your oven
- Heat up your skillet on high, we want to hear the sizzling as soon as the steak hits the pan. Use a high heat oil so it doesn’t start to smoke and add a weird taste to your steaks. Check out this article from Red Meat Lover on which oil is best for cooking a steak.
- Once the skillet is very hot, drop your steaks on the skillet and let it sear for 2-3 minutes
- Flip your steak and sear for another 2-3 minutes
- If you have a cast iron skillet, you can place the entire skillet into the oven for 3-4 minutes. If you don’t have a cast iron, transfer your steak to a pan and place it in the oven.
- Let is rest or 6-8 minutes
The reverse sear
This is my personal favorite way of cooking a steak off the grill and in my opinion, the easiest to not mess up. Just like the above method, we’ll be searing your steak on a skillet for that crisp, brown, and flavorful crust but this time, you’ll be doing that last.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
- Place your seasoned steak on a pan and place it in the oven to cook for 20 to 35 minutes. Unlike the method above, the steaks are cooked at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. This will help keep the steak tender and not overcook it.
- Heat your skillet on high and get it very hot
- Take your steak out of the oven and coat in oil or butter
- Sear your steak on the skillet for about 1-2 minutes
- Flip it over and sear for another 1-2 minutes
- Let it rest for 10 minutes
All skillet, no oven
This method will have your steak cook on your skillet the whole way through. Some find this method to be the easiest and the closest to a steak cooked on a grill.
It’s very easy to execute and takes the least amount of time and preparation. If you like a nice char on the outside, this method is going to be the one for you.
- Preheat your skillet on high and get it extremely hot
- Place your steak on the hot skillet. You want to hear that sizzle as soon as it touches the skillet. Leave it to sear for 4 minutes. No touching!
- Flip it over and let it sear for another 3 minutes.
- Take your steak off the grill and let it rest for 2 minutes
Now that you have 3 different methods to cook a steak without a grill, you now have no excuses on why you can’t make a perfect steak.
Of course, with any of the methods you choose, make sure the steak has been sitting out of the fridge and come to a nice room temperature before cooking and make sure that it is well marinated with salt and pepper.
You won’t cook the perfect steak your first time but after a few tries, you’ll be feeling like a chef in no time and want to show off your family and friends.